Saturday, October 27, 2007


I am like a dog. Once pet, I want more petting. Once loved,
I will wait in the cold as my dog heart goes on beating. See that
dog, tied to the fence at the train station? See how he looks at you, see how my dog heart scrounges?
See how far I have fallen; one of the cats, knowing where the good stuff was; to this.

I am the cargo cult. I am the beggars hand.

Can a dog, really know abandon? Fortunately, no.


I do tricks, I pant. "Did anybody see that? That was pretty good." I look around the station. Maybe she realized she can not live without me, and has come back. She is stepping off the train now and will run up to me and put her arms 'round my dog neck. But yes, it would be later, when the house is silent and she is alone with her memories, that is when she will be overcome, and run out of the house, and straight for a ticket. No, she'd wait, it will be tomorrow, not enough time has passed. "Wait, did that person stop for a second?"
Love and sorrow have turned me into a dog.

If only I were a great man instead of a dog, then my story would mean something.
If only it was a war that did this. Something with stature. Instead, I am a dog, with the rain outside and the trees turning yellow, something I had looked forward to seeing as a man.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Inquisitor: You would agree that seven out of ten things matching is much more significant than seven out of a thousand, wouldn't you? But when you see fifteen or sixteen things match up, you take it as a sign, you assume it is not fifteen out of a thousand or a million. You want it to be a miracle. That would be your miracle, not God's.
Your losses are like everyone's, they are every day - go to the hospitals, or the flop houses, or the bus depots. This is no Helen of Troy, you are not Paris.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Maybe she realized she can not live without me, and has come back."

If I were to ask who she is, would you insist it is only a metaphor?

"If only I were a great man instead of a dog, then my story would mean something."

It does.

Lost-In-Symbols said...

She is not a metaphor, but she is not "simply"
a person either.

If this story of a dog means something to you, I am touched by your imagination.